Sunday, December 5, 2010

"LANN and CARTER HARDWARE, ABERDEEN, MISSISSIPPI"

No. 355 in my 365/2010 series.
Title: "LANN and CARTER HARDWARE, ABERDEEN, MISSISSIPPI"
Size: 8.5X11 inches
Medium: Watercolor on 140 lb. watercolor paper.
Built around 1879
the Lann and Carter Hardware was started business in 1879 by a coronal Lann, a farmer from the Athens community. It has a deep hardware history for the northeast part of Mississippi, especially Monroe county. Walter Lann the 11 and Walter the 11 still operate the family business in downtown Aberdeen. I worked for the Aberdeen Examiner in the early 70's and did a feature article on this old 3 story structure. In doing research for the story I found a story that said the sign on the side of the building was at one time the largest outdoor brick sign in the world. The building is no long there.
I hear all kinds of stories about it. The thing i remember most unusual is that the top floor was the funeral home. If you look closely at the sign there is a line that says "undertakers and embalmers"
I do hope you like what I do. Comments welcomed.

No comments: