Monday, October 11, 2010

"TRIBAL HOUSE, NEAR MARTHA, OK.?"

No. 301 in my 365/2010 painitng series.
Title: "TRIBAL HOUSE, NEAR MARTHA, OK.?"
Size 8.5X11
Medium: Watercolor on 140lb.
This strange building sits all along about three miles north of Martha, Oklahoma near Mangum and Altus, Quartz Mountain. I asked for years if anybody had any info about it. No one does. The stones in it are about a foot thick  and some of then are as much as two feet in length. The lintles and sills over the open windows and doors are three feet across. I believe it was probable a tribal or council house for early native american clans. It is very similar to the council house in Muskogee, Oklahoma. Yes the stones are yellow in color.
I do hope you lke what I do. Comments and/or remarks are appreciated.

No comments: