Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"LONG'S LAUNDRY AND CLEANERS, TUPELO, MISSISSISSI, 1970"

No. 345 in my 365/2010 painting series
Title: LONG'S LAUNDRY AND CLEANERS, TUPELO, MISSISSIPPI, 1970"
Size: app 8.5X11 inches
Medium: watercolor on 140lb. De Arches cold press paper.
Ok, Tupelo FB friends or any other Fb friends in the area that might have seen this sign. I lived in Tupelo for about 4 years 1968-1972 and in the early 70's got interested in painting rusty signs. Always loved this sign for the unintentional political statement it made during those times. I lost this photo taken around 1970 and recently found it in an old book. Just had to include it in this series. Do any of you know if it is still there. It was on the south side of Main Street, East side near the railroad tracks. Looks like I've only got 25 more to go but actually I've got 37 more left to do. I have posted more than 0ne on some days.
Don't forget to look at my CHRISTMAS SALE if you need ART for your self or a gift for someone special.
I do hope you like what I do. Comments and/or remarks are appreciated.

2 comments:

Sherry Barnett said...

The city demolished that whole area and built "Fairpark District" in it's place. The sign was saved however as part of the city's history and is now located at the Oren Dunn museum at Ballard Park. You might remember it as Reed's Park.

Sherry Barnett said...

Below is a link to a picture of what it looks like today. Notice they have done away with the unintentional political statement when they refurbished it years ago. It's been sitting outside all this time so sadly it doesn't look much better.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=102329643001&set=p.102329643001&type=1&theater