Thursday, February 4, 2010

"SAN XAVIER"

This is the No. 35 painting in my 365/2010 series.
Title: "SAN XAVIER"
Size: 7 1/2x10 1/2
Watercolor on handmade German paper
This scene is of San Xavier Mission just south of Tuscon Az. I spent 2 weeks in Scottsdale back in 1984 traveling everyday from Scottsdale in a different direction, painting, sketching and filling books with with marvelous thing to paint. The last weekend I was there I went to Mexico, just to say that I had left the country and I had never been to Mexico before. Traveling south just after i went through Tuscon I kept seeing this white thing on the horizon as I got near to it I could tell it was San Xavier. I go so excited, I had forgotten hat it was even in Az. Of course i had to stop. I got there just as people were gathering for church. I did attend the services and got to see inside this fantastic structure. When I can outside after the service the parking lot was full with a flea market. It had set up while church was going on and not a sound was heard inside. Was great.
It was a highlight of the entire trip.
I do hope you enjoy my post each day. Comments are appreciated.

No comments: