Monday, February 15, 2010

"THE SLUDER CHURCH OF CHRIST"

This is the No. 46 painting of my 365/2010 series.
Title: THE SLUDER CHURCH OF CHRIST"
Size: 8x10 inches
Medium: Transparent Watercolor on handmade German paper.
This is supposed to be the oldest Church of Christ in the state of Oklahoma. It is supposed to be the first one where the first group,who called themselves members of the Church of
Christ to worship for the first time in the state of Oklahoma.
This building is located in the Southwest part of the state near Duke, Oklahoma. It is just north of Duke at a place still called Reeds Crossing. This was the laundry, where people would go to the creek to do their washing and to leave things to be cleaned for the by the man operating this laundry. When I was doing the artist-in-residence program in the southwest part of the state I tried to find the the site of the oldest school house and the first Church's in that area. One of the old timers between Atus and Olustee told me about this place and when he said that it was meeting place of the first known Church of Christ in Oklahoma. I had to go see. This is what it looked like in 1988. Several other older people in the area told me the same story. No one really knew where the name Sluder came from.

I do hope you like what I do. Comments and remarks are welcomed.

No comments: