Saturday, April 3, 2010

"ABERDEEN'S, FLOWER OF THE WORD, LAURI MUNDI"


Title: "ABERDEEN'S, Flower of the World, LAURI MUNDI" 1847
SIZE: 11x14 INCHES
MEDIUM: WATERCOLORS ON 140LB. DEARCHES RAG PAPER.
LAURI MUNDI means flower of the world and Aberdeen is not the only place that has one. There is one as close as COLUMBUS, Mississippi and several on the east coast.
This one was built in 1845 by the Rev. Turner Sanders and first sold to Bishop Robert Paine. The Paine family still own it. The piece of furniture you see in this post is about 5 feet from me as I type this. My father-in-;as Johnny Hickman bout it out of the basement in the early 60's and Nina and I kept it as one of the pieces from their estate after they both passed away.
Back to the house. This house sit secluded on a 20 acre tract in the middle of Aberdeen with several outer houses. This house boast of plaster crown moldings and medallions that are not to be found elsewhere in this region. Also it has the only Marble front steps that I've found. There are several Tiffany Windows surround the front double doors. These were installed in the early 1900's by the same company that did the windows for the First United Methodist Church in Aberdeen. The house cannot be seen from the entrance off Matubba Street just south of Commerce St.
I do hope you enjoy what I do.
Comment and/or remarks are appreciated.

No comments: