Monday, April 5, 2010

"MOM AND DAD'S FIRST PLACE" Woodville, Alabama

This is the No. 96 painting in my 365/2010 series.
Title: "MOM AND DAD'S FIRST PLACE" Woodville Ala.
Size: 7X9 inches
Medium: Watercolor on 140lb. DeArches Watercolor paper.
I have a letter dated Jan. 11, 1943 That my Dad wrote to my mother about three months before they got married.
The letter was written and mailed from Flintville, Tennessee. I think he was living with My uncle Carl and aunt Catherine because of a reference that Cat had already gone to bed. But in a k joking like manner he said the he wished my mother could read the letter that Cat wrote and wanted her to mail but he wasn't going to mail it. He told Mom in the letter that he was going to Huntsville Sat. night even "if it hair-lips hell". He also said "even though I've an idea whats coming. I don't know, but I'll take a chance for what is to be will be". I think he was talking them making plans to marry. He says that he is going to Woodville and would be staying with Copeland, his brother. He closes abruptly so he can "get this in the mail.
We've evidence that when they did get married they stayed with Copeland and Alma for a while. I believe it was in this house. This house has been remodled several times and is going through another facelift now. I took off some of the additions and put the old lumber, windows, roof and porch from the period of the late 30's early 40's.
I sure hope you like what I do.
Comments and/or remarks are appreciated.

No comments: