Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"SUNSET HILL, THE REUBEN DAVIS HOUSE" ca 1850-1853

No. 364 in my 365/2010 painting series.
Title: "SUNSET HILL, THE REUBEN DAVIS HOUSE" ca 1850-1853
Size: 8.5X11 inches
Medium: Watercolor on 140lb. watercolor paper.
Try Googling Sunset Hill and you won't find much? Why????
Anyway one of the most impressive homes in Aberdeen. It was the most impressive thing I first saw when I rolled into Aberdeen, on a Greyhound bus, one Sunday afternoon in 1964. And it still the image I first see in my head when one talks about the beautiful homes in Aberdeen. All the photos I've ever taken of this place is full of trees, blocking this kind of shot. This was painted from one of those early photos given to me by Miss Peacock. Notice the automobile in the drive way, I can't tell the year. Reuben Davis was a smart young man. Moved to Aberdeen at 15 years of age, and by the age of 19 had obtained enough education to have both a Doctors and Lawyers certification to practice. First working in Athens set out to live here. Served two term in the armies around the Civil wars and lost a bid for the office of Governor. Davis died in Huntsville Alabama, My home town.
I was inside the house only once, way before the Pilgrimages and saw it just as it was lived in and not for showcasing. It was amazing. Nearing the end of 365 but I won't stop posting till Dec. 31.
I hope you like what I do. Comments are appreciated.

1 comment:

Christopher Rankin said...

Met one of the current owners this afternoon...very lovely lady. She has such a passion for restoring and preserving the house. I'd love to see more current photos of the house since she and her husband began their renovation project.