Thursday, March 4, 2010

"OAKDALE SCHOOL"

This is the No. 63 painting of my 365/2010 series.
Title: "OAKDALE SCHOOL"
Size: 10 1/4x 13 inches
Medium: Watercolor on 90 lb. paper
This is the What I believe the second building built to house the Oakdale School. This is painted using a photo with the date 1915 underneath the name Oakdale and two other photos showing particial corner of the building known as Oakdale School. I say2nd. building because I have reference form an old newspaper article about the time of this building that say that Men are coming next week to take plow under the old building and take it away.
Anyway, there is not very much history about the Witcher-Oak-Dale school available. I have done a lot of research and I know there was a school here on the present site before statehood.
I believe there was someone operating a "conscription school" in this area as early as the late 1860's early 1870's. There is no date listed for the beginning of Oakdale anywhere, but I do have a copy of a 1891 class card. listing all the students at that time.
I do hope you like what I do.
Comments and/or remarks are appreciated.

No comments: