Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"WHERE THE ABERDEEN CREAMERY WAS LOCATED"

This is the No.85 painting in my 365/2010 series.

Title: "WHERE THE ABERDEEN CREAMERY WAS LOCATED"
Size: 11X14 inches
Medium: watercolors on 140lb. DeArches 100% rag paper.
I'm am posting this painting tonight the 24Th instead of tomorrow's regular post. hope that's ok.
This building is located at the east end of Commerce Street (main street) in Aberdeen, Mississippi. This is the building that housed the Aberdeen Creamery many many years ago.
At the time of this photo which was given to me by Miss Lucile Peacock, there were two restaurants operating in the upstairs of the building.
When I moved to Aberdeen in 1964 and was going to school At IJC, i worked for the Almond Printing Company that was occupying the building.
Until recently, before a new sign was painted on the building you could see some very faint paint and still read the part about "A BATH -DAILY".
The large sign had a picture of some of the products in the circle to the left and the name across the top was in the larger letters.
Below that reads "PROSPERITY FOLLOWS HE DAIRY COW". the other writing advertised. DRY SKIM MILK, DRY BUTTER MILK, WHILE MILK, SWEET AND SOUR CREAM, POULTRY AND EGGS, AND PRODUCE.
The bottom lines read, FOR HEALTH AND HAPPINESS A BOTTLE OF MILK AND A BATH-DAILY".
In the corner restaurant was THE LUNCH ROOM, On the windows were the words CAFE
in the smaller printing was Complete Dinners, Hamburgers and Fries and Sandwiches. I could not make out the name of the restaurant next door to the east but on the windows was written "CATFISH AND OYSTER HOUSE" and below that was "SEA FOODS-FISH AND OYSTERS. and below the far window was a sign that said NORTHEASTERN EXPRESS.
I have several old photos that Miss Peacock gave me that i intend to use for some of my paintings where their influence is important to my life and the way I experienced them. I do hope you enjoy what I do.
Comment and/or remarks are appreciated.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

Hi! My father, Houston Egger, was in his teens when he helped Carl Tubb of Tubb Printing Co. in Amory paint that sign. When "Lucky Lindy" reached his hotel room, he was asked what he wanted more than anything. His reply, "A bottle of milk and a bath." The Creamery adapted that slogan and used it for years. Daddy said that it took them days to paint the wall, and Daddy loved to tell this story. He would have loved to see your painting of it!